Summer is supposed to be fun, but sometimes you may forget to relax. The kids are out of school-you may have too much to do or not enough to do to keep them busy. It can get a little overwhelming. So while summer may be a break, moms need to remember to stay zen.
1. Get Organized-Have A Plan Or A Vision For The Summer.
What do you want it to look like? Go with the flow or packed with activities, what are you and your family’s expectations and what can you handle? Just because there’s no school schedule to follow it’s still important to know what to expect and take the anxiety out of planning.
2. Take Care Of Your Physical And Mental Health
Workout when you can.
Surround yourself with things that make you happy and inspired. – I love quotes and candles. (see above) I got these at my favorite zen store Soulscape in Encinitas. They have everything from books, to cards, to pillows, to meditation chimes and more.
Take A Moment At The Start and End Of Your Day To Clear Your Mind. I practice meditation, but the hard part is finding the time to do nothing and think of nothing, but it really does make a difference and can be more restful than sleep.
The Chopra Center has retreats and classes, but there’s a new free 21 day meditation challenge led by Deepak Chopra and other instructors that starts on July 16th that anyone can do online from home. It’s a guided audio meditation gives you a little perspective and inspiration for your day. You can log on anytime anywhere.
3. Schedule “Me” Time- Summer may feel like it’s the time to enjoy the kids so moms may feel “guilty” taking that me time. But we all need to recharge. It doesn’t mean we don’t want to be with them, we’ll just more relaxed. Ask your husband or family for help or if that’s not available schedule a babysitter for a few hours. Since I don’t have a regular nanny I don’t have a “go to” babysitter, check into sitter booking agencies or referral services. In San Diego, I love Munchkin Minders-so you know all the sitters are background checked and have good references.
4. Plan Fun Events For You! You spend so much time planning activities for your kids, you should do some fun things as well.
- Not in the mood for drinks, Detox Lounge holistic spa in downtown San Diego just opened 6 months ago. Features organic fresh juices 3 Day Juice Cleanses, but go for a girls night with- infrared sauna, detox foot bath and juice tasting for $75.
- Dry Bar- I love this place, no cuts, no color just blow dry. For me that also means stylish curls for a night out on the town. It’s usually $35. In Del Mar they have a “Summer Happy Hour” MTW 4-7pm Free shot -deep conditioner $20 value. This place is fun on your own, but go with a group and get a slight discount too.
- Sheraton Carlsbad – Ocean Pearl Spa has a happy hour 1st 3rd Thursdays but it includes a 20 minute treatment (massage, facial , 2 cocktails or wine, and appetizers for only $69.
5. Don’t Put Too Much Pressure On Yourself .
You don’t have to do everything, go to every party or even go on that family vacation, plan a staycation if that is less stressful.
Remember summer is supposed to be fun-not stressful and the more you take care of yourself the more you can take care of your children! This segment was featured on Good Morning San Diego on KUSI this morning. I’ll give you a behind the scenes look at the shoot later this week. Happy Monday!